Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The MP Gauge

                          

                                 Another new mechanic in The Dark Crusade is the MP gauge. What’s the MP Gauge? Well here’s a brief summary: In previous games skills like Astra and Luna used to be activated on a % chance that was ultimately left up to the RNG on whether or not that skill would activate. Well that’s no longer a thing in this game thanks to the MP, or Magic Points, gauge.

                             Here’s how it works: Skills like Astra and Luna require a full gauge to activate. Once the unit has the full gauge they can activate the skill by depleting it. Once the gauge has been depleted a unit may not activate that skill until recharging their gauge once again to the necessary amount. However, once they do meet the criteria necessary for activating a skill the player may pick and choose when to use said skill. I should point out that if an enemy has a skill that would require an MP gauge the player would know when that enemy would be able to activate it and would be able to play around that and come up with a strategy to counter that.




                            With all this being said there are still a few things I haven’t figured out yet. For example….

                             How does one refill the MP gauge once its been depleted? Well, I’m still working on that one and I’d love to hear any potential thoughts or ideas. Right now, here’s what I’ve got:

  • Beating a chapter sooner

  • Unlocking all the treasure if a chapter has them

  • Unlocking Gaiden levels

                            Yeah….that’s what I got so far. Another question I’ve been thinking about is whether or not enemies should be able to increase their MP gauges during battle or not. One idea I’ve been playing with is that if a player kills an enemy unit all the other enemies get their gauges increased. I’m leaning towards scrapping it but it might make for either Lunatic mode, or it could be one of many unlockable “modes” that the player can choose to play in (oh trust me, there are several of these that I’m already planning on putting into the game). 



                              Before I close this I just want to clarify one thing: The gauge so far hasn’t been a number. It’s an actual gauge that “fills” up in certain increments.

1 comment: