Saturday, July 2, 2016

My Revelations Review Part 1 - The Introduction

        Ah Revelation. What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s the game that sadly failed to surprise me on any level. It certainly didn’t help that everyone I knew who had played it hated this game with a passion. Unlike Conquest, where I was ecstatic and had high hopes for a quality game, I had no hope of enjoying this game at all. The only reason that I even bothered to shell out the money for this game is because I like being able to say that I’ve beaten every Fire Emblem game in the series. If I could suffer through playing Fire Emblems 1, 3 Book 1 & Shadow Dragon then I could suffer through this game as well too. I went in with the expectation that I’d tear this game apart and bash it to pieces. Sadly, the only emotion I’m feeling right now is “bleh”. I don’t really feel anything at all because Conquest and Birthright did such a fantastic job of disappointing me that I knew better than to get my hopes up for this game.

                       This review will not be very positive. If I dislike something, then I’m not going to pretend that I like it. There seems to be this view that “fair and balanced” means that you can’t dislike anything or that there must be equal amounts of positives and negatives. I disagree with this mindset. If a game is crap then it deserves to be called out for its crappiness and a reviewer shouldn’t have to go through the pretense of liking it. Another main way that people seem to deal with criticism is to respond with petty and childish statements like “hUr-DuR! uR SaLtY m8!” Apparently some people have an extremely difficult time equating valid criticism with “salt”. I find this type of response childish as it fails to deal or confront with the substance of whatever is being said. People seem to assume that bashing or criticizing something automatically means “salt” regardless of the merit or substance of the criticism. If you’re not going to put any thought or effort into your response then don’t bother responding to this. I put thought and effort into this review so naturally I expect the same level of intelligence to come from you. This doesn’t mean that you can’t disagree with me, it just means that if you are going to do so you need to put some level of intelligence behind your response. If that’s too much to handle then you don’t need to say anything at all.

                       With that being said, let’s review one of the most despised games in the Fire Emblem series to date: Revelation!
     

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment