Sunday, February 28, 2016

Why I Hate Conquest Part 1 - The Introduction

 
                   
                        I don’t think I’d be surprising anybody when I say that I hate Conquest with a passion. Why do I hate Conquest so much? Well, there are a lot of reasons that I’ll expound in great detail but first I wanted to lay the ground for some badly needed context.

                             When I first saw the trailers for this game I was REALLY excited. Fates has the best premise in the entire series without exception. My mind raced as I thought of all the interesting possibilities that such a premise could provide. I was honestly bracing myself for a game whose story could easily surpass Holy War’s in scope and scale. As I learned more about the game my hype continued to build. Then everything changed after Blazer’s review attacked: 


                             So apparently Blazer already bought an imported copy of Fates (more specifically Conquest) and had already beaten it. I read his review in eager anticipation, hoping to learn more about the game and whether it executed its premise or not. Sadly, his review killed a lot of my hype. Blazer basically said that Conquest had a pretty bad story and that the characters were pretty bad as well. That killed a lot of my hype, but I tried to remain optimistic. After all, this was just his opinion alone, maybe other people who played the game would disagree with him. Sadly, everyone on serenesforest.net and on gamefaqs.com were all saying the same thing: Nohr’s story sucks. That REALLY dampened my spirits.

                            I predicted that Fates wouldn’t be able to make the Top 5 in terms of my Favorite Fire Emblem games for simply not having a good enough story (nor good enough characters), but maybe it’ll beat Blazing Sword for the title of # 6. After all, I was still excited about most of the new gameplay concepts and it seemed like Fates was really going to shake things up. I still kept myself excited about the games because I wanted to see which of my predictions were right and which of my predictions were wrong. Maybe the game would throw me a few curve-balls and pleasantly surprise me. 
                                  Well Conquest surprised me alright, but not in a pleasant way. Before I continue I would highly recommend that everyone read Blazer’s review that I linked up above (or if you’re lazy you can click on the link to Blazer’s review here:

                            I’ve read and re-read Blazer’s review of Conquest and it surprises me how eloquently he’s stated many of the things I’ve thought about when playing this game. I’m going to be quoting this review a lot so it only makes sense that you familiarize yourself with the review. 

                                   Keep in mind that I am here to attack a game, not a group of people. If you like Fates please know that I am not going to judge you for liking the game. People are allowed to have different tastes and opinions and it’s not worth it to attack, tear down or ridicule someone else for thinking differently. It just makes our community look toxic, elitist and a place that isn’t fun to be around. In short, nobody benefits from toxic behavior like that.

                                   I am going to be reviewing this game in 5 different categories, will assign each category an arbitrary number, and then will give a final verdict. The categories are:

  • Gameplay
  • Plot
  • Characters
  • Soundtrack
  • Miscellaneous (I.E. Everything else that didn’t fit into the previous four categories)

                          I’m also going to keep a running tally of all the predictions that I made before the games came out about certain elements of the game and how the game either matched or departed from these predictions and expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment