Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Fire Emblem 12 Review Finale

The Negatives
                 I’ve spent an absurd amount of time detailing why I love the gameplay in Fire Emblem 12. This may cause one to wonder if there’s anything that I don’t like about it. Unfortunately there is.

                My biggest complaint with Fire Emblem 12 is its atrocious unit balance. This game also gets my vote for “Worst Unit Balance in the Series”. There are hordes of units that flat out suck. In case there’s any ambiguity here I mean there are a lot of characters that are so weak that when they join the player they get double attacked and killed upon their join time. What’s worse is that this game requires you to go out of your way in order to recruit some of these characters too which is disappointing when you find out that your sacrifice was for nothing. Almost all of your best units arrive in the early game too so you spend a good chunk of Fire Emblem 12 ignoring the chaff that comes your way. This game broke my “gotta catch em all” attitude when it came to recruiting characters because there’s no point in trying to recruit them all if I’m just going to sit them on the bench anyway.



                     This game also has ambush spawns. Considering the fact that this game has really powerful enemies, ambush spawns in this game more or less equate to really painful “surprise butt sex” to quote Mangs. It’s awful. It’s really, really awful.

                       While I can appreciate the merits behind why this game chose to make dodging and durability foreign concepts I can’t say that I like it from a subjective standpoint. I like being able to tank, whether its dodge-tanking or regular tanking. This game makes you love dodging. It also makes you love being able to take 2 or more hits. At least, that’s what it does for me.




Overall Summation: This game is fantastically designed. Go play it. If you haven’t played it yet, stop what you’re doing and go play it. You’re welcome. This game’s phenomenal gameplay more than compensates for its weaknesses in the other categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment