Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Blazing Sword Review Part 4 - The Finale

 Final Thoughts on Blazing Sword

                I think Model Omega summed this game up for me the best: “MY problem is the same I have with Metroid Prime, they're both well made and enjoyable, but don't really take a huge amount of risks or new angles like (in this case) the SNES games, I just prefer a flawed game that takes chances over an overall better executed one that plays it safe”


                  (Keep in mind that I’ve never played Metroid Prime so I cannot agree or disagree with him since I’ve never played the game to begin with)

                                   That’s the thing about Blazing Sword: It doesn’t do anything bad, but it’s not spectacular. The worst I could give any of its categories is a “meh, not my cup of tea” which speaks the overall quality of the game. However, when thinking of all the different categories I can name other Fire Emblem games that do something better. 



                                    For instance, the gameplay of Blazing Sword on its own is fine, but FE 5 and FE 12 blow this game out of the water. The story of this game is the third best in the series, but take a guess at who # 1 & # 2 are? Holy War and Path of Radiance. I can also think of a long slew of games with soundtracks that I prefer too (heck I think Awakening and Fates have better soundtracks than this game).

                   I could keep going, but you get the point. I do think this game deserves the love and praise that it gets and I totally understand its appeal. It does a lot of things right and a lot of people have nostalgia for this game which is totally understandable given the fact that its the first game in the series to be officially released to Western audiences. It’s already proven to be a fantastic entry point for newcomers and I would recommend this game as a starter for people looking to get into the series.

                         On a personal note, I want my Fire Emblem games to be more ambitious. I want them to do something spectacular, which for me is what the Top 5 all end up doing. Like Model Omega said before “I just prefer a flawed game that takes chances over an overall better executed one that plays it safe”. 


No comments:

Post a Comment