Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Blazing Sword Review Part 3 - The Gameplay and Soundtrack

                 Gameplay: The main reason why I gave Blazing Sword the nickname of “Polished Emblem” is because the one observation that EVERYONE makes about this game is that it “polished” Binding Blade’s mechanics. I agree with this assessment. The hit rates aren’t wonky here like they are in FE 6 which is nice. 

                       I really appreciate how Blazing Sword decided to bring back multiple map objectives instead of going the Binding Blade route with having seize being the only map objective. It's also nice that Merlinus gets his own spot, as opposed to having to take an actual slot in your army. Before I forget, it's nice to see the support conversations take a massive upgrade from the ones in Binding Blade. Also being able to promote before starting a mission is really cool and convenient. 

                          However, I do think that this game took three steps backward from Binding Blade when it comes to gameplay. The first is the map design. Don’t get me wrong, this game’s map design is solid on its own merits but I do think that its not quite as good as Binding Blade’s. The other step backward is its difficulty. I used to think that Hector Hard mode was “unfair” which I don’t know why I thought that because during my last playthrough of Blazing Sword I played on Hector Hard mode and I enjoyed it. In fact I might go back and replay it again. Going back on topic, Blazing Sword isn’t all that difficult (even Hector Hard Mode) especially in comparison to Binding Blade’s well done Hard mode. Binding Blade also had more reasonable gaiden requirements than Blazing Sword.



                            The only really inventive things I can think that Blazing Sword does comes from the “tactician”. I used to like this concept and I felt immersed in the game’s story the first time I played this, but the magic and appeal has worn off as time has gone by. The tactician rating and augury are pretty neat though.  

                       
                         Overall Summation: Blazing Sword is basic Fire Emblem GBA gameplay. Depending on who you’re talking to this is either a good thing or a bad thing. Nothing about this game’s gameplay stands out as particularly memorable. Blazing Sword plays it safe and for me it’s a little too simplistic. I’ll come back to this point when finishing the review.

______________________________________________________________________



               Soundtrack: Okay, I’ll admit it. This game’s got a good soundtrack. It’s the best of the GBA soundtracks and there’s a lot of memorable stuff in here. My favorite track from Blazing Sword would have to be “Softly with Grace”.


                This track just sounds so cool and you really feel like you’re fighting a legit battle. I also like how “Together We Ride” is used as the recruitment theme here. I know some people are sick of it, but I still love it so I’m giving Blazing Sword props for using it. The player attacks theme called “Strike” is also fairly neat. Nergal’s theme also works and the theme that plays whenever Nils dances for someone is upbeat and perky. Requiem also works as a sad theme too. 




                Overall Summation: While this isn’t my personal favorite soundtrack, I do think it is quite good for a GBA OST. I certainly think it’s better than Binding Blade and Sacred Stones’ OSTs. It’s memorable and does a decent enough job at capturing the emotions of whatever’s going on in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment